Sunday, August 17, 2008

Equestrian: Worst Olympic Sport. EVER.

Before I discuss my opinion of this terrible sport-
let me first say to all the people who are going to bash me and call me a jerk- I love horses! So don't think that I am an animal hater! Let me get started...
So I turned on the T.V. a few days ago when I got home from work to watch some Olympics. I have found myself watching more than I ever had in my life this time around. I can't account a reason to this, other than I find it fun to see us winning more gold medals. Call it patriotism, call it arrogance, it might just be a little of both. Anyway, I didn't find the usual channel that I have been watching the Olympics. I ended up finding another channel, that said it was "showing" the Olympics.
Little did I know, that it wasn't really the "Olympics," but a dog show. O.k.- more like a horse show. It was the Olympics, but it was a bunch of people trotting their horses around an arena of sorts. That was it!
My point is this: The Olympics are about personal strengths, running... swimming.... gymnasts... even badminton is considered a personal strength. I recall, when I was a wee little tike, in 4-H we would "train" and raise animals to show them at the County Fair. This is where we would see the Horse show. How in the world did this get to be an Olympic sport?! If I train my dog to roll over, do I get to go to the Olympics and show my dog rolling over and shaking hands? NO. That would be a dog show. So why do we have to sit through someone riding a poor horse and say that is a physical atribute? The horse does all the work, and a rider collects the glory. That's a weak excuse for a sport, if you ever ask me. I'm up for banning it. What a joke and a waste of my time. I hope I never have to see another dog show- errrrr- horse show in the Olympics again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok I am a Horse rider and trainer and before you freak out and start bashing on my comment let me talk... to get the horses to do the things that they do in the olympics it takes tons and tons of strength and balance. The riders in the olympics only make it look easy because they are so skilled.. but the fact is that the rider does just as much work as the horse. It takes both the horse and rider to win. Most people in the world do not believe that riding horses is actually work but if you actually go riding (not some stupid "trail ride" where you just sit there) if you ACTUALLY go riding you will be amazed to find that it ACTUALLY IS A SPORT!!! You ACTUALLY work your body and mind...I don't really know how to explain what I am trying to say so I will stop rambling but don't bash horse riding as a sport unless you have actually ridden and worked with horses and know what you are talking about

Chris said...

Princess- Your killing me. Really- You know your baiting me, right? right?
I have been around horses... trained them.. etc.. etc.... 4-H! Sorry... I left out FFA. They have feelings too. All I am saying, is keep everything in their perspective area.... Horse riding: 4-H and FFA. I'm o.k. with that! I was there for, what? 10 years? Otherwise, I think I should be able to take up dog training and be Olympic bound! Thats just not right. Thanks for your comment Pincess! You are still great and I appreciate your opinion!

Anonymous said...

Chris all I have to say is AMEN BROTHER!!!! You spoke the words outloud that most of the people are thinking!

Jenna said...

I'd say tha photo sums it up for me. Can the horse REALLY be enjoying that? I doubt it.

Amber Carter said...

4-H? Hmmm Not sure that qualifies expertise on the subject but...

Amber Carter said...

How about that speed walking event? Thats gotta beat Equestrian event!